The Great Gatsby Trailer

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sharing is Caring





Though I've always looked down on those who have shown that they do not deserve my respect, I find it especially hard to identify with the more selfish people I'm surrounded by. The one's you see who have everything, but aren't willing to give a dime. The one's who have the ability to change the lives of the many, but instead indulge on themselves. The one's who inherited their wealth and social status, but do not fully appreciate it. Since when has money been more important than happiness?

I've grown up as one who would not judge another, for I have no right to, but when I think of selfish people, my friend Tom Buchanan comes to mind. Now I know he's exceptionally rich and there's always temptations that accompany vast amounts of money, but when one is so involved with himself that he completely disregards the feelings of his wife, I believe the line has been crossed. I did not, in any way, support Tom's affair with Myrtle Wilson. I also feel sympathy for Daisy, but it surprises me that she never objected to whole affair in the first place. Selfishness corrupts people into bad morals. That is why I consciously try to refrain from any and all selfish thoughts.

Lately, I have also been contemplating whether Gatsby's attempts to win back Daisy have been selfish too. I mean, it almost seems like he's using me for his own benefit. Gatsby's a good guy with good intentions (as far as I know...), but I have this feeling that our relationship is working only because I have a connection to Daisy that he sees as an opportunity to reach his goals. What about me? What do I get in return? A "thank you" or appreciative gesture of any kind would be nice. Uhh...selfish people these days.

(source: ngko09.blogspot.com)

1 comments:

Kori said...

You should include pictures of the characters from the novel. 70/75

Ms. Donahue

Post a Comment