The Great Gatsby Trailer

Friday, May 14, 2010

Old News? Newly Old?




So I was speaking with Tom the other day. He was on a rant about money, and yet he was not talking about cash! He's frustrated with all the "Nouveau Riche" - the New Money people. He says they're the scum who earn their wealth within their own lifetimes, people typically from the lower or lower-middle classes. They disgust him! Tom says they do nothing but spend their money, "spend, spend, and spend some more," he says, but because they're lower-class waste they have no idea how to spend their money right! He thinks they "have no taste and only buy mansions and cars and jewelry and God-knows-what-else to flaunt their dirty money and make themselves look richer."

Gee, you think they piss him off? But that's Tom for you...

As for me, I guess I hadn't really noticed the trend. I do now, but that is only because Tom pointed it out. Apparently, he says that he and I come from "Old Money," that we're wealthy because our families have been rich for a long time (his family is enormously wealthy; my grandfather's brother started a hardware business that my father runs to this day). "We're better!" he says. "We have class, we have dignity, we have taste... We know how to use money! And I mean, USE!"

Oh, Tom...



(Source: http://www.slideshare.net/CoolTeacher/new-money)

1 comments:

Kori said...

Good post. Very creative. 75/75

Ms. Donahue

Post a Comment